Yudhishthir Raj Ishar
Professor of Cultural Policy Studies, Department of Global Communication, The American University of Paris
Professor Yudhishthir Raj Isar straddles different domains of cultural theory, policy and practice. Since January 2017 he has been Education Director at the Aga Khan Trust for Culture. Isar joined The American University of Paris in 2002 and was a Jean Monnet professor there from 2003 to 2008. He has also been a Maître de Conférence at Sciences Po, Paris. In 2011-2013 he was an Eminent Research Visitor with the Institute for Culture and Society at Western Sydney University, Australia, and an adjunct professor there 2014-2016. Isar was the founding co-editor of the Cultures and Globalization Series (SAGE) and has authored many book chapters and articles in scholarly journals. In 2004-2008, he was president of the European arts and culture platform Culture Action Europe. In 2013, he was the principal investigator for and lead writer of the United Nations Creative Economy Report 2013. Widening Local Development Pathways. The same year he was also scientific coordinator of the European Union’s inquiry ‘Culture in EU External Relations’ and the principal author of its 2014 report Engaging the World: Towards Global Cultural Citizenship. In 2015, he edited the monitoring report on the implementation of the 2005 cultural diversity Convention entitled Re|Shaping Cultural Policies and is currently Principal Editor of the 2017 edition. Earlier, at UNESCO, he was notably executive secretary of the World Commission on Culture and Development, director of cultural policies and of the International Fund for the Promotion of Culture. In 1986-87, he served as the first executive director of the Aga Khan Program for Islamic Architecture at Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). He was educated in India and France.
- Ang, I., Isar, Y.R. and Mar, P. (eds) (2016). Cultural Diplomacy: Beyond the National Interest? London: Routledge. (Originally published as a special issue of The International Journal of Cultural Policy, 21: 4, 2015).
- (2014) (ed.) Engaging the World: Towards Global Cultural Citizenship. Report of the Preparatory Action on Culture in EU External Relations. Brussels: European Union.
- Isar, Y.R. (as Principal Investigator and lead writer) (2013) United Nations Creative Economy Report 2013. Widening Local Development Pathways. Paris and New York: UNESCO and UNDP.
- Anheier, H.K. and Isar, Y.R. (eds.) (2012) Cities, Cultural Policy and Governance. The Cultures and Globalization Series, 5, London: SAGE Publications.
- Anheier, H.K. and Isar, Y.R. (eds.) (2011) Heritage, Memory and Identity. The Cultures and Globalization Series, 4. London:
- Anheier, H.K. and Isar, Y.R. (eds.) (2010) Cultural Expression, Creativity and Innovation. The Cultures and Globalization Series, 3. London:
- Anheier, H.K. and Isar, Y.R. (eds.) (2008) The Cultural Economy. The Cultures and Globalization Series, 2. London:
- Anheier, H.K. and Isar, Y.R. (eds.) (2007) Conflicts and Tensions. The Cultures and Globalization Series, 1. London: SAGE Publications.
- (2017) ‘Transnational activism through the arts: more a potential than a reality’ in Philipp Dietachmair and Pascal Gielen (eds.) The Art of Civil Action. Amsterdam: Valiz (in cooperation with the European Cultural Foundation).
- (2017) ‘Cultural Policy in India: An Oxymoron?’ in V. Durrer, T. Miller and D. O’Brien (eds.) Routledge Companion to Cultural Policy.
- (2016) ‘Clash of Civilisations’ and ‘Culture and Development’ in A.J. Wiesand, K. Chainoglu and. A. Sledzinska-Simon (eds.) Culture and Human Rights: The Wroclaw Commentaries. Berlin: de Gruyter and Cologne: ARCult Media.
- (2014) “Global Culture and Media” in Mark Juergensmeyer (ed.) Thinking Globally: A Global Studies Reader. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press.
- (2012) ‘Global Culture’ in Bhupinder S. Chimni and Siddharth Mallavarapu (eds.) International Relations: Perspectives for the Global South. New Delhi:
- (2017) ‘Culture’, ‘Sustainable Development’ and Cultural Policy: A Contrarian View’ in International Journal of Cultural Policy, 23:2, 148-158.
- (2015) ‘Culture in EU External Relations: an idea whose time has come?’ International Journal of Cultural Policy, 21(4): 494-508.
- Ang, I., Isar, Y.R. and Mar, P. (2015) ‘Cultural Diplomacy: Beyond the National Interest?’. International Journal of Cultural Policy, 21(4): 364-38.
- (2010) ‘Cultural Diplomacy: An Overplayed Hand?’ Public Diplomacy (magazine of the Association of Public Diplomacy Scholars at the University of Southern California), Issue # 3, Winter.
- (2009) ‘Unpacking Cultural Divides’ in special issue of Nordicom Review, ‘Media and Global Divides’. Jubilee Issue, Vol. 30.