Research Fellow, ITHACA
Period: 1 August 2013 – 30 September 2015
Ruby Gropas is Research Fellow in the Cultural Pluralism Research Area of the Global Governance Programme. She is Visiting Professor at the College of Europe (Bruges) and holds a Lectureship in International Relations at the Law Faculty of the Democritus University of Thrace (currently on leave of absence). She is Book Review Editor for the Journal of Common Market Studies (with Gaby Umbach). She has worked at the Hellenic Foundation for European and Foreign Policy (ELIAMEP); for McKinsey & Co. in Zurich and Athens; and was Managing Editor of the Journal of Southeast European and Black Sea Studies (2005-2009). Ruby was Southeast Europe Policy Scholar at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington DC in 2007 and again in 2009, then Visiting Fellow with the Center for Democracy Development and the Rule of Law (CDDRL) at Stanford University (2010-2011). She has worked on European integration and foreign policy, human rights, migration and multiculturalism and is currently working on European emigration in times of crisis and transnational migration patterns. She studied Political Science at the Université Libre de Bruxelles, Business Management at the University of Maryland then pursued her graduate studies in European Studies at Katholieke Universiteit Leuven. She holds a PhD from Cambridge University.
ITHACA (Integration, Transnational Mobility and Human, Social and Economic Capital Transfers)
Dr Gropas is a member of the team that is coordinating ITHACA, a collaborative research project that studies the links between migrant integration and transnational mobility.
ITHACA studies the transnational mobility and transfers of Moroccan, Bosnian, Ukrainian, Indian and Filipino populations to Italy, Spain, Austria and the UK. The project is coordinated by Professor Anna Triandafyllidou, Director of the Cultural Pluralism Research Area of the Global Governance Programme, and includes partners from the Real Elcano Institute in Madrid, London Metropolitan University and ICMPD in Vienna. It is funded by DG Home of the European Commission (2013-2015).
- With A. Triandafyllidou (2014), What is Europe? forthcoming in The New Europe Series, Palgrave: London.
- With A. Triandafyllidou and H. Kouki (Eds) (2013) The Greek crisis, Europe and Modernity, Palgrave: London & Ekdoseis Kritiki: Athens
- Gropas R., Triandafyllidou A. (Eds) (2009), Migration in a united Europe (H μετανάστευση στην ενωμένη Ευρώπη), Ekdoseis Kritiki: Athens.
- With A. Triandafyllidou (Eds) (2014 second edition, 2007 first edition), European Immigration: A Sourcebook, Ashgate: Aldershot, ISBN: 75464894-X
- Gropas R. (2006), Human Rights and Foreign Policy: the case of the EU, Bruyant: Brussels/ Sakkoulas: Athens, ISBN: 960-15-1661-1
Chapters in collective volumes
- with Triandafyllidou A., (2011) “Greek Modernity and Europe: An Ambivalent Relationship,” in Europe, Nations and Modernity, Ed by Atsuko Ichijo, Palgrave Macmillan Press.
- with Zapata-Barrero R., (2011) “Active immigrants in multicultural contexts: democratic challenges in Europe” in European Multiculturalism(s): Cultural, religious and ethnic challenges, Ed by Triandafyllidou A., Modood T., Meer N., University of Edinburg Press.
- with Triandafyllidou A., (2011) “Religious Diversity and Education: Intercultural and Multicultural Concepts and Policies” in European Multiculturalism(s): Cultural, religious and ethnic challenges, Ed by Triandafyllidou A., Modood T., Meer N., University of Edinburg Press.
- Gropas R., (2011) ‘Human rights and international relations’ (Ανθρώπινα Δικαιώματα και Διεθνείς Σχέσεις), Edited Honorary Volume for Prof I. Voulgari, (in Greek)
- with Triandafyllidou A., (2010) “Immigrant integration in public life’ (“Ένταξη των μεταναστών στην δημόσια ζωή”), in Migration in 21st Century Greece (H Mετανάστευση στην Ελλάδα του 21ου αιώνα), Ed by Triandafyllidou A. & Th. Maroukis, Kritiki Publishing: Athens.
- with Triandafyllidou A., (2010) “Naturalisation and Participation in Public Life” in International Practices in Economic and Social Integration of Immigrants (Διεθνείς Πρακτικές στην Ενσωμάτωση των Μεταναστών στο Οικονομικό και Κοινωνικό Περιβάλλον) Edited volume, (in Greek).
- with Anagnostou D., (2010) “Domesticating Islam and Muslim Immigrants: Political and Church Responses to Constructing a Central Mosque in Athens,” in The Orthodox Church of Greece in the 21st Century: The Role of Religion in Politics, Ethnicity and Culture, Roudometof V., Makridis V. and Prodromou E. (Ed.), Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing.
Articles in refereed journals
- With A. Triandafyllidou and H. Kouki (2013), “Catching up and Objecting to Europe: Modernity and Discursive Topoi in Greece’s Higher Education Reforms,” in Journal of Modern Greek Studies, Johns Hopkins University Press:
- With A. Triandafyllidou (2011), “Migrants and Political Life in Greece: Between Political Patronage and the Search for Inclusion,” in South European Society and Politics, (17:1 pp. 45-63) Taylor & Francis: London
- with Triandafyllidou A., (2011) “Greek Education Policy and the Challenge of Migration: An ‘Intercultural’ View of Assimilation,” in Race, Ethnicity and Education (REE), Routledge: London.
- with Triandafyllidou A., (2009) “Constructing difference; The Mosque debate in Athens,” in Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies (JEMS), Routledge: London, (35: 6 July 2009, pp 957 – 975)
- with Lyberaki A., Petronoti M, Triandafyllidou A., (2008) “Migrants’ strategies and migration policies: towards a comparative picture” in Migrant Strategies and Migration Policies. Comparing European and North American Experiences, Special Issue of the Journal of Immigrant and Refugee Studies (JIRS), The Haworth Press (Fall/winter 2008, 6:3).
Policy papers, web & other publications
- Gropas R. , (2013) “The Migration- Development Nexus: Time for a Paradigm Shift,” Think Global Act European,, Notre Europe
- with G. Tzogopoulos, (2013), “The Greek in The European External Action Service and National Diplomacies,” R. Balfour and K. Raik (Eds), EPC Issue Paper No. 73.
- Gropas R., (2010) “Integrating Peace, Security and Environmental Priorities in EU Development Cooperation Policy”, Think Global Act European, Notre Europe.
- Gropas R., (2009) “The Hot, Flat, Insecure World: a Governance Test’ OpenDemocracy, 21 August 2009, http://www.opendemocracy.net/article/the-climate-change-world-a-governance-test
- Gropas R., (2008) “Ten Years of Greek Development Cooperation and Peacebuilding: Challenges and Recommendations,” Initiative for Peacebuilding, November 2008, http://www.initiativeforpeacebuilding.eu/pdf/Ten_years_of_greek_development_cooperation_and_peacebuilding.pdf
- with Emmanouilidis J., “Combining Pragmatism and Vision: the future of EU enlargement”, in Think Global Act European, Notre Europe, Paris: 2008, http://www.notre-europe.eu/uploads/tx_publication/TGAE-FR.pdf