How Judges Think in a Globalised World? European and American Perspectives
Scientific Coordinator: Sabino Cassese (Italian Constitutional Court)
The HLPS discussed how globalisation is impacting the role of judges.
Judges, practitioners and academics addressed, among others, some pressing issues:
- How does globalisation impact the nature of the litigation faced by courts?
- Is there an increased “delegation on courts” of social and economically controversial issues, and how should they deal with it?
- What is the proper and legitimate use of foreign and international legal sources?
- To what extent do judicial dialogues take place and what is their form?
- Is there a global community of judges and what is it?
- Is there a convergence on the models of judicial reasoning and deliberation?
How Judges Think in a Globalised World? : European and American Perspectives
Marta Cartabia and Sabino Cassese, 2014
Loïc Azoulai Professor, European University Institute
Marta Cartabia Judge, Italian Constitutional Court
Sabino Cassese Judge, Italian Constitutional Court
Pedro Cruz Villalón Judge, European Court of Justice
Yoram Danziger Judge, Supreme Court Israel
Luís Maria Díez-Picazo Giménez Judge, Tribunal Supremo
Olivier Dutheillet de Lamothe Président de section, French State Council
William A. Fletcher Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Harold Hongju Koh Professor, Yale University
Brigid Laffan Director, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies/ European University Institute
Koen Lenaerts Vice-President, European Court of Justice
Goodwin Liu Judge, California Supreme Court
Rui Moura Ramos Former President, Portuguese Constitutional Court
Ruth Rubio-Marín Professor, European University Institute
Kim Lane Scheppele Professor, Princeton University
Alec Stone Sweet Professor, Yale University
Peter van den Bossche Member, Appellate Body of the World Trade Organization and Professor, Maastricht University
Antoine Vauchez Research Professor, Université Paris 1-Sorbonne and Visiting Professor, Columbia University